Monday, August 24, 2009

Week 1 -- Welcome the pseudoscientific jungle!

This blog will be the place for deeper engagement with some of the stuff we'll be covering.

As the semester progresses, I'll be posting my thoughts/reflections here, along with links to a variety of points of interest in the online universe. Feel free to post comments as we proceed (Blackboard Vista will also be available for that purpose, of course--I just like this better).

Here are a couple of links to get you started.
My favorite journalist on the planet, Ben Goldacre, writes for the Guardian in the UK--his column is called Bad Science, as is his blog (and his recent book). Take a look at the right-hand side of his page, labeled Mini-blog--nothing but links to some of the wackiest stuff currently being posted on the internet. Here's the url:
http://www.badscience.net/

I also recommend having a look at the constantly-changing website of the James Randi Educational Foundation:
http://www.randi.org

One thing I want you to take away from my course is simply to understand how chock-full your life can be of things that aren't as they first seem, and sometimes the real explanation is even more interesting and entertaining than you expect. That's as good an explanation as any for my favorite photo from my recent vacation, which I posted on failblog.org:

No comments:

Post a Comment